Thursday, May 27, 2010

UC Admissions Updates and Summer Availability

Students admitted to a UC campus for Fall 2010 are reminded that the Statement of Intent to Register, or SIR, is due by June 1. If you experienced a change in your spring schedule (e.g. you withdrew from a class) or you received a substandard grade (e.g. F, D, Incomplete, or perhaps even a C if you were instructed to make all B's or better this semester), you are required to report those changes through appropriate channels. For most UC campuses, such changes are reported through the online interface (e.g. myberkeleyapp). If you need to report a change and cannot figure out how to do so online, call the UC campus admissions office immediately. You can find the numbers in your email correspondences from the campuses.

I will not be in the office during the summer, but students with questions can email me: If the answer to your question can be found on my FAQs page or in this blog, you may experience a delay in my response. There will be two weeks in June in which I will have no access to email at all. A link to my FAQs page follows:

I will return to the office beginning August 13. Until then, enjoy your summer!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

UC Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)

If you are planning to transfer to a UC in Fall 2011, now is the time to start researching the Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) programs offered by all of the UC campuses except Berkeley and L.A.

The DVC Transfer Center has some links to these program websites:
Please be aware that some of the information is not yet updated. The best source of information will come from the UC campus's own website.

Also be advised that some UC campuses, such as UCSD and UCSB, require TAG participants to have completed their two English composition courses (e.g. ENGL-122 and ENGL-126 from DVC) by the end of Fall 2010 in order to participate in the TAG.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Important Updates from the University of California System

Students planning to transfer to a UC campus in Fall 2011 or later should note some important changes in UC programs:

If you have any questions, come and see me or another DVC counselor in the Counseling Center.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

English Assessment at DVC

In order to take English 122, the first transferable and required English course at DVC, students must either (a) score acceptably on both the Reading and Writing portions of the DVC English assessment test, or submit an appropriate score from another community college's English assessment test; or (b) submit a Prerequisite Form, available in the Admissions and Records office, with documentation attached that proves the student has met the necessary prerequisite for English 122 at another college or university; or (c) submit other forms of documentation to a DVC counselor that prove the student is prepared for success in DVC's English 122 class. Requests without adequate evidence of preparedness for English 122 will not be honored.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DVC International Counseling Blog Cited on Counseling Website

I was pleased to know that my blog is mentioned in a list of Top 50 Counseling Blogs from the Counseling Courier website. There are also some other valuable blogs that you might want to check out: