Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Post-workshop Q&A, August 7, 2013

          Thanks to all of the great students who attended today’s academic workshop for new international students. Below are your questions that you submitted at the end of the workshop.

Q. Which math courses are appropriate for Business majors?
A. Choosing appropriate math courses for Business majors depends on two things: (1) which math class you placed into per math assessment, and (2) which university you plan on transferring to. If you placed into MATH-192 per assessment, that course will satisfy the Calculus I requirement for any Business program. If you plan on applying to the Economics or Business Economics major at UCLA, then definitely take the 192-193 sequence because that’s the only sequence those programs accept. However, if you are NOT planning on applying to either of those majors at UCLA, or for Business Administration at UC Irvine, then the Business Calculus, or MATH-182 and -183, sequence is fine. If the major also requires statistics, then either MATH-142 or BUS-240 is acceptable. If you placed into MATH-192 in assessment, that also qualifies you for either of those statistics classes. I recommend MATH-142 as it might be the most broadly applicable class (i.e. it might transfer more easily to a private or out-of-state university).

Q. Is IGETC transferable to USC?
A. The University of Southern California is a private university. DVC does not have an academic relationship with them. However, they do accept many courses from California community colleges. USC has its own general education system that is different from IGETC. If your primary goal is to transfer to USC, my advice is that you read the USC website thoroughly and contact an admissions representative at USC for more details and for assistance.
          See more about IGETC in the August 5 blog post.

Q. Can I study one major at DVC and a different major at a university after I transfer?
A. That depends on the rules of the university you want to transfer to. For UC and CSU transfer, it is best that you prepare for the CSU/UC major while you study at DVC to increase your chances of getting admitted. However, if your DVC major and transfer major are similar enough, you might be able to study both (e.g. Psychology and Sociology are similar, but Biology and Psychology are not). Consider perhaps studying one of your interests areas as a minor after you transfer. A minor is like a major, but it doesn’t require as many classes. To get a degree you must have a major, but minors are optional. DVC counselors cannot help you know what classes to take for a minor because the universities do not provide that information in the Assist website.

Q. I have coursework from a university (either in the US or another country). Can I use that coursework at DVC? How does that affect my transfer to a UC?
 A. First of all, read the post from August 5 and see if the question about foreign coursework answers your question. If not, then read on:
          You can use foreign or domestic coursework to fulfill some requirements at DVC. If the coursework is foreign, you must get a private agency evaluation of your foreign units. Visit and choose an agency that you can afford. Request a detailed, course-by-course analysis of your coursework. If your coursework is from a US university, ask that university to send an official transcript to DVC. Once your transcript/agency report is submitted to DVC, you can request an evaluation in the Counseling Center, and when you later come to the counseling appointment, the counselor can help you understand how your units can be used at DVC.
          If you want to transfer to a university, only a representative of that university can tell you how your foreign or domestic coursework might transfer to their university. CSU and UC representatives visit DVC often to meet with students. See the Transfer Center website for more details: Often the only way you can get an evaluation is if you apply to that university and submit official copies of your transcripts, then the university will evaluate your coursework (transcript evaluations are costly and time-consuming, so universities do not do them for free).
          You must, by law, report ALL prior college-level coursework when you apply to a university, whether that coursework is from the US or another country. Failure to do so can have severe negative consequences on your studies in the US.